Tuesday, June 30, 2009

More Answers to the Two Questions


This post features responses to my two questions from yet another fine jazz artist, vocalist Giacomo Gates. Rather than elaborate further, I'll just let him do the talking:

The first question: Why did you decide on a career in music?


I didn't wake up one day and decide to become "a jazz singer."
I had been involved with music as a kid, singing a song at the age of six, in front of a class of tap dancers.... 'cause I didn't want to dance.... I chose to sing!

I took guitar lessons from the age of eight to fourteen or fifteen, and played into my twenties. I played and sang "for fun".... self enjoyment...did gigs here and there, but never "chased it."

I got into the construction business and traveled around the U.S. going wherever the big jobs were....Alaska, Washington State, Arizona, Louisiana. I was reintroduced to the music, while attending a two week workshop at the Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival 1987. Headliners were Steve Allen and Sarah Vaughn.

I was encouraged by several of the instructors and also felt it was time for a change. Having been a fan of the music since 10-12 years of age, it just felt like it was time. I always enjoyed playing, singing, learning, and performing this music...Great American Songbook and the music that was then called Modern Jazz.

I moved back to the East Coast and began to sing locally, regionally, clubs, festivals, wherever I could. I actually just took another route for a while, and got an education that money can't buy, nor would I trade it for anything."

The second question: What is it you love about jazz that made you decide to focus on that type of music?

There's another kind of music? Norman Mapp wrote it, Betty Carter and Joe Lee Wilson sang it.... "Jazz Ain't Nuthin But Soul"


To get a virtual experience of Giacomo doing his thing (although this only hints at what a fine performer he is live), click here.

To learn more about the world of Giacomo Gates, go to www.giacomogates.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment